Panel 2 – Ohlone Village / Aldea Ohlone

This panel depicts a glimpse into what the Beach Flats Area looked like before Spanish explorers first encountered the San Lorenzo River in 1769. During this time it was inhabited by the Awaswas-speaking Ohlone people, and the river flowed over what is today the Beach Flats neighborhood. The constant flow of the river symbolizes the generations of people that have thrived within this watershed, our ancestor’s connection to the mountains and the sea, and the fluctuation of life throughout the seasons. Salmon swim up-river to spawn and Blue Herons hunt along the water’s edge. Fishermen used the sturdy stalks of the Tule Reed to build boats and grandmothers wove baskets from its pliable fiber. A young Ohlone girl admires an abalone shell, paying homage to the San Lorenzo River’s original Awaswas name, Aulina, meaning “place of the red abalones.”

Este panel ofrece un vistazo hacia el área de Beach Flats antes de que los exploradores españoles se encontraran por primera vez con el Río San Lorenzo en 1769. En aquellos tiempos, el río era inhabitado por el pueblo Ohlone de lengua awaswas y el río fluía sobre lo que ahora es la vecindad Beach Flats. El constante fluir del río simboliza las generaciones de personas que han prosperado dentro de esta cuenca, la conexión de nuestros antepasados con las montañas y el mar y la oscilación de la vida en el transcurso de las temporadas. El salmón nada a contracorriente para desovar y la garza azul caza a la orilla del agua. Los pescadores usaban los robustos tallos de la caña del tule para construir balsas y las abuelas tejían canastas con sus fibras maleables. Una joven Ohlone admira una concha de abulón, rindiendo homenaje al nombre original awaswas del Río San Lorenzo, Aulina, que significa “el lugar de los abulones rojos.”